Not being a person that keeps up much in the political realm, I had heard nothing about it! ( I know I know... I watch the news for the weather)
I see this huge header on the new report saying "Countdown to CRISIS!"
My first thought was "geez.. let's just throw things a little out of control here why don't we media!"
But after listening to what Mr. President had to say... I must say, it did make me concerned.
This is a problem. Not only with spending unwisely for as long as we can remember...but I think it's a little deeper.
Everyone knows the race for the American Dream... financial security, nice house, nice car, nice benefits.....
able to eat out whenever you want, shop a little here and there for un-necessary things, spoil your kids with vacations and toys.
It all sounds like what most of us strive for or even live today.
But something within me has really been struggling with this lately.
It may stem from reading a book called Radical by David Platt. (If you have not read it I highly encourage you to.) It supports a lifestyle living radically for the things of God instead of worldly possessions.
Rich and I live a modest life.... we are making sacrifices in order for me to be able to stay home, mostly, with our kids. Don't get me wrong... we have made some terrible choices in how we spend our money in the past that has left us very much living a more pinched budget. Truth be told, I think that we have more bills now than we did when I was working full time!
One thing as Americans, we love to do is spend our hard-earned or borrowed money. If it's there.. we'll spend it!
So here I was thinking about the worst case scenario when it came to the debt crisis...
and I got kinda mad.
We, as average Americans, don't have the luxury to simply go on spending more than we have. We are held accountable to our financial obligations... why should the government get off so easy?
They need to be held accountable and come up with a plan of action.
So what if they don't...?
I was thinking back to the Great Depression Days.
My husband's Grandma has a coffee-table book about this called "We had nothing but Love".
Inside are all kinds of pictures and testimonies of people who lived through the most debilitating time in our nations economy.
Everyone made their own clothes, grew their own vegetables, some raised their own meat... so on.
They were lucky to be able to go to school at that time because some of them needed to stay home to help work the farm.
No family was immune either.. it seems each family could unite in the hardships that were this time. They had ONLY the necessities. That was it.
And you know something...... they survived.
They had faith that God would provide. They trusted on His provision for their families.
Did they have fear?... Most certainly. Did they doubt?.... Probably so. But faith is all they had.. everything else had failed them.
We live in a country that encourages people to work their tails off to buy into the American dream. I see that many families that are ruined because of it, with credit card debt, long working hours, indulging ourselves beyond what we can afford and I'm beginning to see that it is all an illusion.
Even the government.... our foundation and security of this great country is victim to it.
The worldly mush that we hold so dear.... why that is not even sustainable.
No matter what happens, I want to be better with my money.
I want to be better about learning trades like sewing and gardening.
I want to hold dear the things that are sustainable... like love, and family, and community.
And to the utmost sustain..... Our Heavenly Father.
I trust in your provisions Father.
Help me to want the things that You do.
Or be Amish:)
No comments:
Post a Comment