What is it about me that has all the aspirations in the world and not a bit of motivation to start any one of them?
I feel like I can give a great idea hours and hours of thinking about it, but to sit down and do it...... I fail.
I have realized that my wants are greatly getting in the way of my do's.
It's almost like you have so much to accomplish, that you don't even want to start?
This is a time of year that a lot of Christians take part in Lent. A time to fast from things that give us worldly pleasure in order to grow our relationship with our Lord.
Here's where I am at.
I am convicted for the fact that I am greatly and richly blessed... if anything at all for the fact that I have the most wonderful family.
Yet here I am, day after day, wishing I had more.
I wish I had a bigger house for our soon to be growing family. ( in the next year or so)
I wish that we did not have to worry about money... and truly, we really shouldn't have to. God has given us plenty for our needs. We just want to indulge ourselves in things that really don't matter.
These are just a few of the things that seem to plague me each day.
I think that it's time to buckle down and really get down to the things that DO matter.
I am tired of having this gigantic monkey on my shoulder. It does nothing but bring a person down.
What is it that will make me sacrifice the most as well as bring my mind and heart to the focus that it needs is still being decided...
Mainly I just want to simplify my life.
I'm curious..... if you have ever taken Lent, what did you / planning to give up?
The biggest help in our financial peace has been reading total money makeover by Dave Ramsey and putting it to work in our family. The last 2 years have been amazing and not from any huge pay raise. Mike borrowed the book from a co-worker, but I'm sure the library has a copy too.
ReplyDeleteSorry, I logged in under the other account, but this was Montessa
ReplyDeleteI can so relate to this, Emily. It's really a constant struggle, isn't it? Todd and I had so much fun in Seattle, but I'll be honest...it was a bit hard shopping and eating out when everywhere we turned we saw homeless men. It broke my heart. I easily get caught up in wanting more, forgetting that I have so much to be thankful for. You're not alone in that. I think it's how we were created. We're eager for more because we want heaven so badly. I think our minds play tricks by trying to convince us that we can create heaven here if we just had that one thing, or the nicer house, or the new car.
ReplyDeleteSorry for the ramble!
I'm thinking about participating in Lent this year too. Haven't decided exactly what to give up, but I need to since it starts today! Ha!
Love your writing. Keep it up.