Thursday, March 31, 2011

Of a more serious matter...




For those of you who do not know, my mom in law is pretty awesome.
She has a BURDEN... B.U.R.D.E.N for Uganda.
She has been there, I believe twice before, and she is going back again this summer.
In the past she has been gone for a week to 10 days, but this time she is going for a month.... 30 days, 4 weeks.
Can you imagine her being gone from Asher for that much time?....
It's because she has a great heart for missions!!!!

In the past she has requested different baby supplies; clothes, toys, blamkets, etc...
This time she is caring for the mothers.
Watoto Children's and Babies Home is quite a reflection of Jesus.
If you want to read more about them here's there website:
http://www.watoto.com/

Here they support women and children stricken with being orphaned as well as, AIDS, murder, kidnapping, and any other horrible thing you can imagine happening to a family.
Needless to say, women there are superheros.
You would think with such support they would have all their daily, or "monthly", I should say, needs met.
But they don't.
When Ugandan women are menstruating they are often absent and secluded because of lack of supplies to keep themselves clean.
They stay home and do not go to work or school. And if you think about it, some of these younger girls and women are staying home for a week each month! Thats a lot of school to miss.


We have so many resources here in the United States. We take things like this for serious granted.
So here's the game plan.....Ok?
There are several ladies who are actually making cotton, washable, "feminine garments". ( in case any men are reading this):)
And if you think about this route it makes perfect sense! They need something that will last a long time, is environmentally friendly, and comfortable.
So here's where you come in....
You can either
A. Make some of these using this pattern:
http://www.tinybirdsorganics.com/organiccotton/clothpads.html
B. Donate leftover flannel or cotton fabric for others to make them.

C. Donate money to help make and/or ship them to the women that need them.

You can message me or leave a comment if you want to help and what it is that you would like to do...
I, though the sewing troll that I am, am attempting to sew some.
This pattern seems incredibly easy and it's only a small gesture to show these superheros that I care about them. I like knowing that I made it with love and, though it may look a little awkward to my neighbors praying over a maxi-pad, I know that it is going to bless their lives.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

 
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment