I read a great post:
http://www.danoah.com/2010/10/worthless-women-and-men-who-make-them.html?spref=fb
This touches on the topic of the insecurities in the lives of women, specifically in this computer age.
I was basically raised by a single Mom, and that, in and of itself, can make a women feel insecure. Even though my Mom hid it well, I can imagine that it was very hard not to feel dejected, rejected and neglected. I was a chubby kid. I got teased... not horribly, but my cheeks have always been round. I can't really recall names or specific things that were done, I just remember feeling isolated....different.
Growing up I did wish that I were smaller, I dressed better, was prettier, etc... and now I wonder why at such a young age. I didn't ever think I would not be loved otherwise, but I wanted to feel good about myself. Be like everyone else.... or the everyone's that I was choosing to see as everyone.
He is blaming the men who stop and gawk at these "perfect creatures" on the covers of Maxim..... I don't really know If I buy that. Just because Rich may think someone else is beautiful doesn't mean he doesn't think that I am too. Yes, my body may be scarred from bearing his child, but he loves me more for the sacrifice that I gave to provide him with children.I have never caught Rich checking someone else out while we are together, that may be that he's really sneaky, but I have never once. And ya know, if I did, I don't know if I would really care that much. Just because he wants to look at something beautiful doesn't mean that he's going to divorce me for it. Women... we do the same. Look at (bleck)... Fabio? Would he have been so successful if all we are doing is sitting at home obsessing over how we look to impress men? No, we are having our similar fantasies in books, movies, etc....
And part of me says... Ok, Dude... even saying that men hold all the power when it comes to how women feel about themselves makes my inner feminist want to scream! Do we not hold the power to rise above?
Yes, I had some issues to work through as a child, but I got over them. If I wasn't chubby it would have been something else. Do I look at models and want to be them...not usually. (The exception would be Victoria's Secret) But I don't go obsessing about it every single day. I usually look in the mirror and enjoy what God has created me to look like. If He wanted me to look different He would have made me different.
I think that the real problem lies with the Dads. Reading some comments about women saying their DADS would make fun of them, or laugh when their brothers did it made me want to go find them and kick them in the "you know where". Really?.... Demeaning your own child. That makes me SICK. Are you so proud that you have to make your daughters feel that unless they look a certain way they are going to be dejected by society?
So... my encouragement is for Dads.... tell your daughter she is beautiful ( which by the way as a parent, I don't understand how you can't already think they are the most beautiful creatures in the world), tell her she is just the way God made her, tell her she is irreplaceable and adoring. Tell her more than anything that she is God's own heart. Praise her sensitivity, Praise her dramatics, Praise her tender heart. This will cultivate women-ness. She is made to be nurturing, soft, kind, and compassionate.
Tell her she has purpose...... and FAR MORE than to be an object of a man's affection.
Dad's.... in agree-ance with SDL... treat your wives the same. Treat your wives like you want your daughter's husband to treat her. Not only will it show a healthy, Godly relationship.... it will model to your daughters and sons what they should be and do in their future relationships.
The problem is not entirely from men checking out every perfect woman on the magazine cover, it's generations looking at women as less important and passing those mentalities onto their sons--- who chances are were criticized and not accepted for who they were either.
Cause really.... though sinful man, these behaviors are a innate characteristic of a man. I don't think we should excuse them from it---since we have moved past the caveman era, but let's not be SOOO critical of them and let this be motivation to keep them happy. Give them the attention they want, look nice for them, tell them that they are attractive to you. ---
It's a 2-way street here..... Wives don't have the excuse to let themselves go just because they are married or that they have had kids--- I mean really? How hard is it t put on a little makeup and actually fix your hair once in a while? As well as men don't have the excuse to say, "I'm a man, that's what men do!"
All in all I think that this is a great post that will spark many men to take a minute to evaluate just how they feel about women.... REAL women. I mean it couldn't hurt right? Just think that he's giving them a little too much credit.
Just sayin'...
No comments:
Post a Comment