Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Circle of Life

Coming off a night spent with my 2 nieces and nephew as a last "hoorah" before school starts. Asher thinks all of them hung the moon and LOVE spending time with them. When the school year is in we don't hardly ever get to see them. We went grocery shopping and got everyone a doughnut to eat and had a good time walking around Walmart and having the extra hands and helpers to load and unload. :) Spent the afternoon at the house playing Wii and playing with Asher. Dinner was pizza and the night ended with movie and ice cream for everyone.
It seems like yesterday that Austin, who is now 11, was Asher's age. They are very similar in their interests at 2 ..all about cars and trains. Now Austin has moved on to bigger and, I guess, better things....Spiderman comics, video games, iPods, etc.... Just seems to put life into perspective for me. I know I will turn around and Asher will be fastly approaching teenagery things and the difficult years. My niece Hailey was talking about having to wash her face already. Those hormones are starting to kick in....AHHHHHH!!!!!!
I remember back to when I was a VERY new mother and I "expected" all these things for Asher to do --- sleep thru the night, nap without crying for 2 hours, eat great, you can fill in the blank. I read all these schedule and routine books and brainwashed myself into thinking that all babies can and will do perfect with this... Huh? Asher didn't sleep thru the night until after he was 1, is a great eater ( but starting out was a PIG --nursed every 2 hours day and NIGHT! ), never has napped good.  And I learned very quickly that I can't spend his babyhood wishing he was this or that. I needed to cherish the time that I spend with him EVERY SECOND!!!! I know that I look in the future and see us having a great time as a family but I want to be present at this time. It only happens once....you never get a second chance. I won't remember all the sweet things he mispronounces or the things we used to play unless I am focused on him and cherishing it now. I was so frustrated by things early on and have learned to not be quite so tightly wound.... I could have it a lot worse! I am so blessed by my sweet little boy and he is so sweet, smart, FUNNY, adorable, strong, independent, well-rounded, and loving. He always stops to give Mama a kiss when I ask, he is a great helper, and a good listener ( for 2 years old). I just can't imagine my life without him.....well I could but it would not be as fun and joyful! I look forward to watching him grow but more than anything I want to watch him play today!
      Lord, thank you for this precious gift that you have allowed us to raise. Help me to set a Godly example for him, to teach him about You and the love that You have for him. You reveal the love You have for us through children.... as much as we love them, You love Jesus more and You sent him to die for all. Please take all my worries and doubts as a parent and help me to rest on You. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. That's so very true, these kids are growing way to fast! My nephew sent me a school picture and I can't believe he's in the 8th grade. I don't see my nieces and nephews a lot, but when I do I cherish every moment of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my kids were little I spent a lot of time worrying that they would make good choices as young adults, and that all would turn out well. Now that my children are both young adults, I realize that I will always spend some of my time worrying about them. However, for all of that worrying, it has not changed how things will turn out. For now God has blessed us with two kids and now a daughter-in-law who are all wonderful. Life has its risks, but that will not stop me from living, and not stop me from enjoying all the blessings I have been given. Learning to live in the present is difficult, but is also an incredible gift to give yourself. In the words of Henry David Thoreau, "Life is not a dress rehearsal. Live the life you've imagined".

    ReplyDelete