I had some crazy expectations for this little guy.
He was to sleep all night, eat when he was scheduled.... do everything I thought, or read about, he should do.
Boy was I WRONG!
We started great.. We were going to try Baby Wise and I had my little routine down pat!
I nursed and was absolutely DETERMINED. I wish I could tap into that again sometimes, because I account that to God and God alone. Looking back I don't know how I did it!
We finally got through it but not without totally messing with his sleep schedule, and from my own need for sleep, he ended up sleeping in bed with us.
I don't think it was until after he was weaned and over a year old that he actually started sleeping all night.
With hormones raging in my body, and the stress of having this new little thing to be responsible for... I was overwhelmed. I remember calling my Mom telling her I was not meant to be a mother. I felt so out of control and insecure about EVERY single decision I made when it came to him.
In my planned, controlled, familiar life, I had everything under control... the birth of Asher created so much self doubt.
Of course, when I finally gave myself some room to learn for myself, I lightened up and let us do our own thing that worked for us.
This is my main advice for anyone having their first baby.
Keep your expectations manageable... do what your instinct tells you. Remember that God chose YOU to be the parents of your little one.
I have been told MANY times not to wish his childhood away. When he was smaller, I was always anxious about the next milestone and how fun it would be when we could do___..... (fill in the blank).
Now that I am here where I am... I realize that it was so fast! I wish that I would have been more present and not worrying myself silly.
Looking back, I was incredibly selfish... only I did not know it yet. I didn't want this baby to interrupt things that I like to do, such as eat a warm dinner. :)
But..... the baby SHOULD mess up your life. You are (should be) changed when that little person enters the world.
I get so frustrated with mothers who constantly gripe about their lives as a mom.
I mean... do you know how many couples would KILL to to be blessed with kids?
I know that some days can be a struggle.
What I don't understand is why you must tell everyone you come in contact with how horrible your day has been or how much your kids are driving you crazy.
Kids are not ignorant... in fact, they are more in tune with your attitude than you are.
You yell and roll your eyes or act as if they are so annoying.... they will probably be just as much in a bad mood as you are.
Do you want to come across to your children that you are just "putting up" with them?
Giving them the feeling that they are not really valued?
They are craving your whole presence... not just a minute here and there in between laundry or phone calls.
Do you really want to get down and play cars? Color a picture with them?
I just wish that we, who have the privilege to spend the majority of our time home with our kids, can realize what a blessing they are and show them that very thing.
We have overcome a lot to become a mother...
We should take that responsibility more seriously than we do some days. We are one of the most important people in their lives... they look to us for security, comfort, example.
If we show a bad attitude all the time, they are going to be disconnected and feel insecure.
Wake up each morning thanking God for the blessing of our children, because that is really what they are.
When you feel the frustration coming...kiss them, snuggle them, and tell them how precious they are and that you are blessed to be their mom.
Keep our attitudes in check!
A couple books that have helped me that I like:
I have this for Asher that I bought at a women's conference this past weekend... I absolutely LOVE it! It is letters written by God teaching little boys how to use their specific characteristics as a boy to be a great husband, man, hero all in the name of Jesus!
Their is also a little girl's version.
This is a wonderful, humbling, book. It deals with anger and frustration in every way it can rear it's ugly head. Even if you don't think you have an anger problem, you should still read this book and I guarantee it will speak to you.



Amen sister! You have no idea how many times I've wanted to say these same things to this mom or that mom. Only thing is, those moms don't generally value your opinion because you aren't a mom yourself. That being said, a empathetic spirit can sometimes be all that's needed for a complaining mom to see that what she really has is a gift to be cherished.
ReplyDeleteLove it, Emily. It's a good reminder that we all need. Sometimes I wish I could just stamp the word "GRATEFUL" on my forehead, so every time I looked at my reflection I could be reminded to thank God for my children.
ReplyDelete