The time has come for us to start thinking about school....
My heart is very conflicted.
I feel very inadequate, very undisciplined, and scared to entertain the idea of home school with Asher.
I mean, these days I barely get enough time to brush my own teeth let alone play with Asher.
But there is something within my heart that keeps pulling me to do so.
It's not that I don't have experience.. I took a few teaching courses in college, as well as, teaching preschool for 3 years before Asher was born.
I feel like I could... but
Would it benefit enough? Would Asher listen to me?
The more I roll it in my head the more things come that point to "try".
So.... I am committing to at least 30 minutes a day of "school time" to at least work on skills that he will need for Kindergarten anywhere.
He needs the practice of sitting and focusing on a task for longer than half a second.
I need to get a little more structure at home and I think that I will really see an improved behavior on Asher's behalf. I know he has watched entirely too much tv and been left to his own devices too much since Owen was born. Not that that kind of thing is bad, but Asher seems to long for predictability. When he doesn't feel in "control" of situations or when there are mixed signals he freaks. Hmmm...... a little Daddy?
I think that we will take a route of a theme each week and incorporate learning math, spelling, art and science about that theme.
Asher is a "hands on" kinda kid and so we will HAVE to have some activities that make him get up and going once in a while to keep his interest.
So.... I need advice. LOTS of advice.
GO.............

There's a book called Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I've done it with the older two girls & Ember is working on it now. It has really benefited them all, I feel like they're doing better in school because of it. If you decide to look into it, feel free to talk to me about it. Also, the Dollar Tree is a great resource for cheap preschool stuff - posters, charts, calendars, workbooks, etc. :) We got a number chart from there years ago & taped it to the fridge, I think my kids have learned more from looking at that chart & making observations on their own than I ever would have thought to teach them.
ReplyDeleteI'm seriously considering homeschooling when Niko is old enough, but I do know that it takes the right kind of parent/child relationship. You might look into http://shemonline.org/ . They hold a conference every year that several of my friends with older children attend. You can do it Em, but at least you can get some professional guidance if you look into SHEM.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know you had a blog Emily! Or that you thought about homeschooling! But it doesn't surprise me:) you have a true Godly Mama heart. We homeschooled for 3 years and I do miss it. You would do great at it if you ever decide to do it. You don't have to have a teaching degree just a heart to teach.
ReplyDeleteI miss being the one teaching my kids and influencing them although there is the pressure to do the best job and not drop the ball or let them down. That's why I think community is so important to encourage each other!!
I'm skimming over some of your blog today.. And I've actually thought before I wonder why Emily doesn't homeschool? Because I can see your heart is def on your family and God..
It's a personal choice and I base my decision on prayer and take it year by year . Who knows? Maybe we will home school again some day .. But if not, I try to stay involved in their education no matter where they go to school.
- Rachel Maples