Thursday, September 16, 2010

Hunger

Lately, have been doing much thinking about the Word of God. How I am almost afraid of what it might reveal to me. I have never been good about reading it on a daily basis. Satan has a stronghold on me with this... when I think about sitting down to open communication and study with God, I almost always find something better to do... laundry, sleep, dishes, sleep. Why is this? I am a child of God--- you would think that I would KNOW that this is the only way to have a close relationship with Him. And you know, in my rational mind, I do WANT to. Why does it take so much to get to to be disciplined  and committed to this. People, I sure talk the talk... but I limp with the walk.
I have experienced great connection with Him and his Word when I was studying Daniel. It was like a great book that I could not put down.... constantly revealing itself in every verse. I had a hunger for God's Word.... it was AMAZING. Despite remembering  how great it feels, I have yet to get back to that place.
Sunday's sermon was very personal for me, it was about the backslidden Christian. I came to the conclusion that I started out a backsliddden Christian. Never taught that the key to staying close with God was to read His written Word. As I have grown older I know that, but have yet to stay committed to this most important command.
I want it to, again, be like a piece of chocolate.... When I am sad---I want it, when I am happy--I want it, When I stressed and angry-- I want it. I want God's Word to become my ultimate comfort food!
I am trying to rebuild my relationship with Him... I am looking forward to seeing what intimacy feels like with Him again and the joy and excitement that results.I want to be pleasing to Him--in worship, in fellowship with Him. I want to get away from the sake of church and actually become the church!!!!  Prayers for me, my friends, and that this would trickle down in the hearts of everyone who feels disconnected from God.  I love my verse this morning:

"See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty
deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the
elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ."
Colossians 2:8

It's time to say goodbye to the love of the world, and fall in love with God and the life He promises! ---Cause it's a great one!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You put into words exactly what I have been feeling in my heart. I am excited to begin an over the top love affair with God. I want to know him and have him on my mind all the time, desiring to do his will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great post, Emily. I feel your pain. I am embarrassed about my daily walk with the God that I say I love.

    I know that if I ignored my wife the way that I ignore my God; if I paid her lip service like I do my God; if I only went to her when I needed something like I do my to my God; she would have left me a long time ago.

    That He stays demonstrates His great love. I don't know what you call what I have for Him, but that's not real Love. I say that I love Him--and I really want to love Him--but it really doesn't show, does it?

    I wish that I could take comfort in knowing that I'm not alone, but in this case having others that are struggling to love Him too... just makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete