My Mother's Day started on Saturday because my sweet husband technically works on Sunday and so any holidays honored on a Sunday he doesn't get to be a part of. So... the plotting began as he and Asher snuck into Asher's room and whispers came. Then they emerged and Asher's smile was so sneaky and precious! He lead me to the couch where I, traditionally so, closed my eyes and held out my hands. Placed before me was a card which was quickly snatched away by an excited almost 4 year old, who wanted to open it for me. The words are short and sweet followed by messy letters scattered throughout the page and a left handed attempt at a baby's name by Daddy.
Another card follows with sweet words that say how hard this time in our life is, raising young kids, but when we are further down in this journey we will look back with such love and fondness.
Actual Mother's Day was a pretty typical Sunday... feeding a baby during the sermon, much crying all the way home by 2 sleepy and/or hungry boys. Lunch of leftovers.
Rich had plans... napping plans...:)
Asher has been having some really bad sleep going on, so when usually he protests, he was game.
Owen and I slept in the rocking chair and Rich and Asher slept in our bed.
It was refreshing.
Rich also gave me pick of anything I wanted to eat for dinner, and imagine the shock and awe when I said, Mexican!
El Puente it was and it was sooooo YUMMY! By far, my favorite Mexican place! I think I could eat it every day.
Many times I got a hug at the knees and a "Happy Mother's Day" from my oldest.
Lots of smiles and snuggles from my youngest.
Throughout the day I thought about expectations that some mothers have for their day of appreciation. And I thought mine was pretty special. But even if it wasn't... we mother anyways. There are still cheeks to be kissed, dinners to be made, bottoms to be wiped. We do these things not to be appreciated, but because we are mothers.
I am very thankful for my family and it is a PRIVILEGE to be a Mama to my boys. A task that asks so much of me, but I willfully do it and feel it is my Godly calling to do so. I am grateful they are as forgiving as they are.. and despite my many shortcomings as a mother, they are still excited to celebrate me for a day.


Sounds like you had a special day! Happy Mother's Day times two!! :)
ReplyDelete