Tuesday, January 3, 2012

A Funny Date night

I realize that the majority of my posts are child related, and while it is a huge part of my life... it's not all of my life. So I want to share about a special date night that Rich and I had that will go down in the books!
First of all, let me preface this by saying that we have 2 Grandmas that make it possible to for us to be able to have some time to ourselves... we are not very good at maintaining a good connection with the normal routine of life.
Since we have been busy, pregnant, and moving.. we have really lacked in the relationship field. Don't get me wrong, we love each other despite everything, but some days felt like we wanted to be as far from each other as humanly possible.
We needed a date night that didn't involve shopping for Christmas Presents or working instead as all of ours did the month of December.

Here is what we do normally on dates.... eat somewhere, shop a little around here or there, see a movie ( lately there has not been anything we have wanted to spend 20+ bucks to see... we have become movie snobs).

We wanted to try someplace new that we had made mental notes of, but couldn't remember any of them that we have mentioned before.
I occasionally read 417 magazine and always love to read their reviews of restaurants so I thought of one that I had seen a lot in there.
Rich was craving wraps, soups, sandwiches and so I recommended The Gallery Bistro downtown. I love to go downtown to eat; for the experience as well as they have such good food options there.
So we started on our way and I read a few reviews on the internet. Everyone said that it was great casual dining and the only thing that I could find wrong was that the drinks were overpriced. Since we don't drink I didn't think much about it.
We get there and while walking from where we parked we saw that Millie's was just down the way. We had only eaten there once and loved it so we contemplated going there instead, but decided to stick with The Gallery.
This was all on a Thursday night so most places were actually pretty empty... we were seated right away and given the menus. We order our drinks which was water for both of us, and open our menus.
"Shock and Awe" was what you could describe the looks on our faces! Apparently it was not just the drinks that were overpriced! Other than appetizers, not a single thing was under 15 dollars!
We have a running budget for our dates that mostly revolves around $40 with dinner and tip. We knew right away that this was not in our budget and we needed to find another place.
So, Rich pulls out his cell phone like someone calls and then tells me that we have to go. We walk over to the host and let him know that something just came up and we had to leave, but we'd be back to try it another time.
So, there you go.... we totally bailed!
We walked around the corner and ate at Millie's... which turned out to be the best thing ever! Rich found a sweet potato soup that he is in LOVE with. AND... we had enough money left over to pass by the Cup and get me a cupcake for dessert later. :)

A date that we will never forget! 

2 comments:

  1. So funny. Date nights like that are the best in my book. Todd and I had a similar experience when we first moved to Nashville. Earlier in the day I flipped through Rachael Ray's book $40 A Day in Barnes and Noble and she mentioned a place in Nashville where everything on the menu was half off after 9pm. Todd and I thought we would check it out, so we killed time until 9 for a late dinner. We walk in and are seated and realized we are the only ones wearing jeans. There were no prices on the menu. We were so out of place. When the waitress left to let us look over the menu, we snuck out and ended up eating at Waffle House. One of my all time favorite memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's too funny! We've definitely snuck out of expensive restaurants before, too. Wouldn't it be so much more helpful if everyone posted prices on their website?

    ReplyDelete