Friday, August 3, 2012

Fun times on South Avenue

I was awake last night with my sweet little boy who wanted a midnight snack. I got to thinking how much fun our house is gonna be with these 2 boys and how fun it would have been to have a sibling close in age.  That got me thinking about my childhood and how many wonderful friends I had and how much fun we would have, especially in the summer.
Here are just random things that I would do that I remember doing, and hopefully some of them read this and remember them too.  Made me chuckle a little at some...

I had a storage shed turned playhouse that we would pretend to be pioneers and dress up. We would make dirt pies and spend HOURS in that shed! It was usually loaded with wasps and hotter than all get out... but we played!!

I remember Nicki and I having Barbie extravaganzas... man we had a LOT of Barbie stuff and what we didn't we would make out of boxes and washcloths. We would set it up and play for a whole week without taking it down!
I remember her cat and her poodle.. one of which was named Tippy but I can't remember which.
We got tired of jumping the fence so her Dad built us a ladder over it. Cant tell you how many times I scratched my wrist up and down on the top of that fence! We had some fun times.

I remember our Bass twin boys that lived next door for a while. We would play Power Rangers and X-men and I was always "included" but totally left out. I imagine that I was a big pain most days when I would want to play, as I am sure they totally didn't want me to a lot of times. They are still near and dear to my heart!

The Popes...  We had so much fun. They had a tire swing that would swing soo high!
We would swim in their cow-tank and I remember making whirlpools.
We would put on plays under a sheet on their laundry line and make our own costumes. We made our parents come and watch. Specifically one about weather... I think.
(This one made me smile since I haven't thought about it in forever..) We would roller skate in her basement! They had a great concrete floor and we would turn on some tunes and skate away!
They had a dog named Charlie and a cat named Crackers.. both were the sweetest things!!

I remember the Durhams and some knock down drag out fights between Lindsey and I over whose feet were bigger! I remember when they moved and they had the sweetest Rottweiler ever, can't remember his name though.  I always remember what a great christian family they were and how babies were always a topic of conversation since her mom was a nurse and she had 2 younger sisters. Their house even smelled like babies.

I know that If I don't write this stuff down it will leave me forever...  It's already foggy and some I don't know if I dreamed or if it was real. But I do know this...
I feel so blessed to have had great friends that I could always call on to play when there was a snow day or summer vacation.

I hope my boys have good friends like I did. The house next to ours is for sale and I am so hoping and praying for a sweet, young family with boys to move in!



1 comment: