Friday, December 9, 2011

A Birthday Do Over....

As I posted on Tuesday, it was Rich's 30th birthday. As it turned out... we had some grave circumstances preface the day with the death of our cat, Gracie.
Needless to say, he was a bit bummed.
I did have to work that day, but had plans to make a yummy dinner and make him one of his favorite things... Boston Creme Pie.
Now, I have tried this before when we were dating and it was mass failure. The chocolate sauce never hardened and was more just like syrup and the cake was flat and not fluffy like it should have been.
So.... I searched, of course, on Pinterest for a recipe to follow.
Thinking about the ingredients I had and the ingredients that I needed... I realized I could adapt the recipe for what I had on hand.
So here's what I had....
1/2 bag of chocolate chips
whipping cream
yellow cake mix


... I know it looks dyer doesn't it?
But then I realized that on my lunch break I could swing by and buy some vanilla pudding mix to serve as the "custard" middle.
So as I got home from work that day, I also realized that I don't have 2 circle 9 inch baking pans, so I had to use my bundt pan instead.
Mixed the cake, let it cool.
Fixed the pudding and put in fridge to set.
Then I made the chocolate sauce, which I did follow most from the recipe, just nixing the added cornsyrup.
It turned out  so very YUMMY!!!!
It was 100 x times better the next day when the chocolate had time to harden though.
So, if you love Boston Creme Pie here is a totally easy, quick, recipe for those that don't have all evening to be measuring out and creaming and whisking.....
picture shown is not mine...( just giving you an example)

Easiest Boston Creme Pie
1 box yellow cake mix
1 box instant vanilla pudding
12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup heavy whipping cream


Make cake mix and pudding according to directions.
Place pudding in fridge to set, and after cake bakes, be sure to let cool completely.
If using a bundt pan... carefully cut the top half off to make 2 pieces of cake.
Spread pudding on top of the bottom layer and place other piece of cake on top.
Set in fridge.

Place chocolate chips and whipping cream into a small saucepan and melt, SLOWLY on med/low, making sure to stir frequently ( I just sat and stirred the whole time since I was fearing it would burn and I only had one shot at the chocolate).
After completely melted and mixed together it should look very velvety and smooth.
Pour over cake to cover all the top and sides.... if using a bundt pan you may have to spoon some out of the middle to cover the outer sides. If using 2 regular pans you should be fine.


You can eat it right away, but it's much better left in the fridge until chocolate hardens.
Sure wish I had a picture to show you, but it was pretty much eaten right away. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment